Back to School Resources for Young Children
Posted on: July 30, 2021 | Category: Uncategorized
Aloha caregivers! Back to school is just around the corner and the Hawaii State Public Library System wants to ensure that your keiki is prepared for their first day of preschool or kindergarten. This can be a scary change if it is your keiki’s first time, and our collection of library books and digital resources will provide you with information on how to make this transition less stressful. All you need is a library card to start browsing!
- Scholastic Teachables (Grades K-8): Features over 25,000 printable activity sheets, mini-books, educational crafts, and more!
- Bookflix (Grades K-3): Pairs award-winning and popular story books (fiction) with learning books (non-fiction).
- All are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold
Illustrations and simple rhyming text introduce a school where diversity is celebrated and songs, stories and talents are shared.
- Danbi Leads the School Parade by Anna Kim
Danbi is thrilled to start her new school in America, but a bit nervous too. This charming story tells the tale of a young Korean immigrant child’s first day of school.
- Heroes Wear Masks: Elmo’s Super Adventure by Lillian Jane
Join Elmo as he gets ready for school like a Superhero, and learns about wearing a mask, hand washing, and social distancing. This book will help children combat school anxiety and understand new experiences.
- I Got the School Spirit by Connie Schofield-Morrison
As a new year begins, a young girl is filled with school spirit as she zips her backpack shut, rides the bus, enjoys her classes, and eagerly awaits the next day.
- If I Built a School by Chris Van Dusen
Imaginative Jack describes the kind of school he would build – one filled with animals, with tubes to transport students directly to their classrooms, and library books that come alive.
- The King of Kindergarten by Derrick Barnes
Instilled with confidence by his parents, a young boy has a great first day of Kindergarten.
- Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
Llama Llama experiences separation anxiety on his first day of preschool, but he discovers how fun it can be just in time for Mama Llama to come back.
- Lena’s Shoes are Nervous: A First Day of School Dilemma by Keith Calabrese
Lena is excited about starting Kindergarten but her favorite shoes are not until, with the help of her father and a very special headband, she convinces her shoes – and herself – to be brave.
- Mae’s First Day of School by Kate Berube
Today is Mae’s first day of school. But Mae say “I’m. Not. Going.” With the help of Rosie and Ms. Pearl, will Mae be ready to start the day?
- My First Day at School by Thomas Kingsley Troupe
What is the first day of Kindergarten like? Covering all the basic from cubbies and bathroom etiquette to playground rules and lunchtime, this book walks readers through a typical first day of school.
- The Pigeon Has to Go to School by Mo Willems
The pigeon must go to school, but frets about math, learning the alphabet, heavy backpacks, and what the teacher and other birds will think of him.
- School Days by Shelley Rotner
Colorful photos show a diverse range of kids taking part in morning meetings, visiting the library, going to lunch, and playing at recess. A reassuring book that’s perfect for the first day of school.
- Teachers Rock! by Todd Parr
A celebration of the ways in which teachers change the world, from encouraging creativity, to making students laugh, to helping them form friendships, always wanting everyone to succeed and making the classroom a great place to be.
If you need assistance, contact your local library.