Machine and equipment policies
- LBPH distributes the digital audio players and accessories produced by the NLS. It serves the State of Hawaii and U.S. territories in the Pacific.
- LBPH has sub-lending machine agencies on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai to expedite the loan and exchange of equipment needed to play NLS audiobooks.
- Machines are not sent out automatically. You will need to make arrangements to borrow or exchange an audio player.
- If you have not yet received your digital audio player, please contact the appropriate agency listed below:
For Oahu, Molokai and Lanai:
Hawaii State LBPH
402 Kapahulu Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
Phone: (808) 733-8444
For the Island of Hawaii:
Hilo Public Library
300 Waianuenue Avenue
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Phone: (808) 933-8890
For the island of Maui:
Kahului Public Library
90 School Street
Kahului, Hawaii 96732
Phone: (808) 873-3097
For the island of Kauai:
Lihue Public Library
4344 Hardy Street
Lihue, Hawaii 96766
Phone: (808) 241-3222
- Machines and accessories like headphones, can be mailed directly to your home or may be picked up at your nearest public library or at LBPH. Keep the mailing/packing materials in case you have to mail back any equipment.
- Contact your respective machine lending agency in advance to make the necessary arrangements.
- Neighbor island patrons may contact their respective machine lending agencies if there are any problems, questions or requests. The agency will contact LBPH as needed.
- Equipment necessary to read the recorded materials may be borrowed on extended loan for as long as the patron is using it to read materials provided by the library. If no materials are borrowed within one year, equipment should be returned.
- Patrons are allowed only one machine per format.
- If the equipment needs repair, contact LBPH or the machine lending library on your island to arrange for repair or exchange.
- All equipment and accessories produced by NLS remain the property of the Federal Government.
Equipment operation and maintenance
- The Digital Talking Book Machine (DTBM) is the device used to play the digital cartridges provided by the library.
- You can listen to an audio user guide by pressing and holding down the Play/Stop button on the standard machine and the Info button on the advanced machine. The user guide can be accessed any time the player is on.
- Audio instructions are also available for the various device functions by pressing the respective button on the machine (e.g. play, rewind, fast forward, etc.)
- When the machine is turned on, it will tell you how many hours remain on the rechargeable battery. It will take about two and a half hours to fully charge a completely discharged battery. You may continue to listen to a book while the battery is being charged.
- You may leave the machine plugged into the wall outlet for as long as you like. This will not harm the machine or the battery.
- Repair and maintenance: all maintenance and repair are handled by library staff. If you are experiencing problems, contact LBPH on Oahu or the respective sub-lending machine agency on the neighbor islands to make arrangements for an exchange.
- All equipment loaned remains the property of the federal government.
- You may be contacted when we conduct our annual inventory of equipment.