Patent and trademarks
As a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC) member, the Hawaii State Library has access to the same tools used by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office patent examiners.
The online tools include PubEAST and PubWEST, which have many advantages over the online patent databases available at www.uspto.gov.
- Save time and money through faster and more powerful patent searches
- Allow text searching for U.S. patents issued from 1920 up to the most recent weekly updates
- Foreign patent abstracts and documents
- Support more complex boolean, field and proximity searching
- Multiple databases can be searched simultaneously if databases have common fields
However, patents issued from 1790 to 1920 are searchable only by patent number, issue date and classification.
PubEAST and PubWEST
PubEAST and PubWEST include the following databases:
USPAT: United States Patents
- Full text search for the US patents, 1971 to present.
- Patent number, publication date and current classification search only for pre-1971 US patents back to 1790 PGPub: Pre-grant publications
- U.S. utility patent applications that have been pending for 18 months USOCR: US Optical Character Recognition
- US patents issued between 1920-1970 plus those from 1971-1976 that are missing from USPAT file
EPO: European Patent Office
- English language abstracts of European Patent Office (EPO) and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) documents
- Full text of U.S. patents since 1790
JPO: Japan Patent Office
- English language abstracts of Japanese patent applications from October 1976 FPRS: Foreign Patent Retrieval System
- English abstract of EPO, JPO, and Derwent files, plus foreign patent images.
PubEAST features BRS for text and IS&R for number searching, easy customization of display formats, tagging records, and fast browsing capabilities with the potential to save 50% of search time.
PubWEST offers structured searching for novice users as well as freeform searching for advanced searchers. It is a server-based gateway to access the same databases as PubEAST with easy downloading options. PubEAST and PubWEST will also be available at Lihue Public Library and Kahului Public Library.
The following is the contact information for availability:
Hawaii State Library
Federal Documents Section (2nd floor)
478 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Lihue Public Library
4344 Hardy St.
Lihue, HI 96766
Kahului Public Library
90 School St.
Kahului, HI 96732
Additional patent and trademark resources
- All issued plant patents in microfiche or in print (includes color pictures that are not available in other formats)
- Archived Cassis DVD database of all issued patents, published patent applications and all registered trademarks up to 2011 Week 49.
- Archived Cassis DVD database or print copies, up to August 2011, of:
- Index of classification for patents
- Patent classification definitions
- Manual of patent examining procedure
- Trademark manual of examining procedure
- Design search code manual
- Patent indexes from 1920 to 2000